Our Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland place brand helps us tell authentic, consistent stories so others connect emotionally with our region. This will enhance our reputation because we will be known for the right things, and attract the kinds of talent, investment, students, visitors and business that align with who we are, and that’s good for us all.
To help you bring your Auckland story to life we’ve created the Tamaki Makaurau He Aratohu Playbook that lives on our Auckland brand home, where you’ll find everything you need to know about what makes Auckland unique to the world and the rest of New Zealand. You’ll also find a library of free, quality video and photography plus tips and tools to help you leverage Auckland’s place brand.
The Auckland place brand is the result of extensive research, with and on behalf of Auckland's residents, to understand see what differentiaties our region from the point of view of our residents, the rest of New Zealand, and the rest of the world.
The research revealed these four brand themes that capture the essence of our city:
- He whaitua whai wairuatanga | Region of wairuatanga – The world is used to seeing indigenous cultures in museums. Auckland’s modern Māori identity is unique and part of everyday life.
- He tōpūtanga ao | Collective worlds – One in three Aucklanders were born elsewhere and our different cultures are embraced with sincerity.
- He wāhi whakakaupapa | Playground for ideas – Auckland’s entrepreneurial spirit drives us to great things.
- He whakamarutanga ā-tāone | Urban oasis – Auckland is a thriving urban hub. It's New Zealand’s is largest city, set in spectacular natural surroundings.
By aligning our communication around these themes, we can attract the investment, workers, students and visitors that will help our region grow - and at the same time, enhance everything we love about Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland.
Over time, aligning with our Auckland’s place brand will generate:
- Trust in our city
- Equity in the Auckland brand
- A vibrant and resilient Auckland
- A sense of pride in our city
- Economies of scale
- A consistent online reputation, and
- A stronger GDP, economy and job market.
You’ll find the information and resources you need to share what makes Auckland a special place here.