In addition, a dynamic and content-rich permanent Lantern Festival programme will run at aucklandnz.com/lantern.
The online programme will feature festival videos, Chinese craft and cooking classes, galleries, playlists, and performers, and will be added to and grown as a hub for all to access and enjoy at any time.
Favourites returning in 2022:
- The Lantern Pavilions where more than 800 handmade Chinese lanterns will be illuminated and on display. Visitors can follow the indoor lantern trail and enjoy the themed and imaginary settings that tell the stories of the lanterns and Chinese culture.
- Twenty-nine street stalls selling delicious Chinese and Asian food, and 13 stalls featuring beautiful traditional and contemporary crafts and gifts.
- Local artisans will demonstrate traditional Chinese calligraphy, kite making, fan painting, and embroidery, and visitors can solve Chinese riddles.
- A main stage where Auckland’s top NZ-Chinese performers will provide entertainment ranging from Chinese folk, opera and orchestra to modern pop, dance, and martial arts.
- Spectacular fireworks display at 9.30pm on Sunday night.
What’s new in 2022:
- New spacious location, within walking distance of Auckland bus and train connections, with plenty of paid parking.
- A specially created, complimentary online programme of content including videos, galleries, craft guides, a festival guide, and playlists.
- Extended weekend opening hours.
- Panels and talks: ticketed sessions with speakers and panelists from the Asian-NZ creative community.
- Film screenings and creative networking opportunities in collaboration with the Pan Asian Screen Collective.
- An audio-described Lantern Pavilions tour on Friday, 11 Feb.
- Group bookings on Friday, 11 Feb.
Festival tickets are FREE and are essential for entry. They will help with crowd management and contact tracing.
Tickets can be booked from 9 am Monday, 24 January at www.aucklandnz.com/lantern.
Demand is expected to be heavy – people should book early and choose their entry time to avoid disappointment.
A valid My Vaccine Pass is also required for everyone attending the event and will be checked at the gate.
The Auckland Lantern Festival is delivered by the region’s economic and cultural agency Auckland Unlimited on behalf of Auckland Council and supported by founding partner Asia New Zealand Foundation.
For further information please contact:
Communications Advisor, Auckland Unlimited
M +64 27 2038705